Saturday, October 22, 2011

Week 43 of the 2011 Food Storage Challenge

$10 Challenge
Purchase 1 packet mixed dried fruit and 1 packet dates/prunes.

$20 Challenge
Purchase 2 packets mixed dried fruit and 2 packets dates/prunes

A bit of an odd challenge this one.  Depending on why you require your food storage, fruit may not be easy to get.  I mean...we're just starting to see bananas come down in price. 

Prunes are great for...keeping you regular.  I'm not going to go into that in any more detail!

There are many types of mixed dried fruit out there as well.  I like one that has dried halves.  It includes apple, pear, peach, prunes and apricots.  I'm not keen on sultanas for some reason.

You can dry your own fruit with a food dryer, as I sometimes do, if I get a great haul of fruit cheaply.

Some ideas on what you can do with your dried fruit:-
  • Make muffins
  • Make your own muesli
  • Add to your breakfast cereal
  • Hydrate in syrup and serve with ice cream
  • Make coconut/condensed milk/dried fruit balls
  • Make fruit cakes
  • Make scones
  • Eat right out of the packet
  • Combine with seeds/nuts and something like Nutri-grain or puffed wheat to make a trail mix.
If you want to store glace fruit instead, go right ahead.  I love to keep glace cherries handy, and typing this, I realised I haven't replenished my store of them. *Gasp*.

No comments:

Post a Comment