Friday, January 21, 2011

Enjoying the little things in life

I don't teach during the Christmas holidays, and I find it really hard to switch off. This time I made a conscious effort to rest and enjoy the things happening around me.

I am fortunate to have a husband who doesn't expect a 'Stepford Wife'. If the house isn't spick and span when he comes home, so be it. That's not to say I don't clean during the day. I just don't do as much when the kids are home all the time - it is kind of pointless.

Instead, I take the opportunity to look at all the little things around me and appreciate them. Before we realised just how much rainfall would hit Qld and Vic, and when the rain first started to fall a week before Christmas, we saw the rainbow in the top picture of this post. It truly was spectacular and the photo just doesn't do it justice. If you look closely, you can make out the perfect double over the top but it started to rain heavily and I couldn't keep my camera out in the downpour. This rainbow appeared only a few weeks ago, a couple of days prior to hearing about the Qld flood devastation. Mother Nature can be terribly powerful and destructive, but she also shows us her tremendous beauty.
My heart goes out to those affected by the floods in Qld, Northern NSW and VIC. I hope you can find the peace, comfort, strength and support you need in this difficult time, and in the years to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment