Here is a simple recipe to keep that last supply of your yeast going indefinitely:-
- 4 cups warm potato water or 4 cups water and 1 Tablespoon potato flakes.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Stir all ingredients together. (Do not use metal utensils while making yeast).
- Place the mixture in a warm place to rise until it is ready to mix for baking.
- Leave 1 cup of everlasting yeast for a start for next time.
- Between uses, keep the mixture in a covered jar in the fridge until a few hours before using it again.
For the next baking, add the same ingredients, except the yeast, to the everlasting yeast start. By saving some of the everlasting yeast each time you use it, you can keep yeast on hand indefinitely.