Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Thermomix Churros

I woke up this morning with a craving for Churros.  I had them at Dreamworld on our family holiday and I enjoyed the one I had, although I thought it was tad dry.

After a Google search, I found a recipe I could adapt from allrecipes.com

I have varied and adapted it though, and it goes something like this...

You need:
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

- Oil in a deep fryer ready to be switched on.

- Plate with absorbent paper read to go.

- 1/2 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed together on a plate ready to go.

- Piping bag or plastic tubey thing that I have in my pictures below.

Method:-

  1. Into the Thermomix goes your water, sugar, salt and vegetable oil.
  2. 100 degrees C for 5 mins on gentle mix speed.
  3. Let it cool to 80 degrees (whilst waiting, turn your deep fryer on and set the temperature so the oil will reach 190 degrees by the time you're ready to pipe). Add your plain flour and baking powder to the liquid in the Thermomix.
  4. Mix on gentle mix for 1 min, then turn up to speed 4 for 20 seconds.
  5. Mixture can now be piped into a piping bag, then pipe the mixture carefully into the hot oil in the deep fryer.
  6. Fry until golden brown.
  7. Take out and place on absorbent paper, then roll whilst still hot in sugar and cinnamon.
Serves 4 (or two very hungry children).

     Frying away happily. They smell good!  I piped two at a time.  I thought they would stick together if I piped more than that in.

     The mixture is really sticky.  I had already taken 3/4 of it out by this point.  It's a good thing Thermomixes can self clean (well, mostly...)

     My piping 'Thing'  I didn't put a nozzle on it, I was too lazy but I think I will the next time.

     Cinnamon sugar

Yum!
The only thing I would change is to pipe them a little smaller (with a nozzle on my piping 'thing').  The inside was probably a little too moist but still nice.  The outside was really crunchy and delicious.  It was a big hit with the kids who informed my they looked like "doughnut sausages" then promptly devoured them.

I'm going to have to make another batch on the weekend so Phil can enjoy some too!

Oh and no, this didn't end up being breakfast ;D  It was an afternoon snack.

2 comments:

  1. I have one word...YUM!!!
    And thanks... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D You are absolutely welcome! I take no responsibility for ruining any diets though ;D

    ReplyDelete