Honey is a very handy thing to have in your cupboard, not only for cooking and baking, but it can be used in first aid as well. This site has some useful information on using honey to treat minor cuts etc as it is a natural antibiotic: http://www.truehealth.org/ahealt03.html
I have some interesting recipes using honey. Remember not to feed honey or anything containing honey to infants under 1 year old due to 'botulism'.
Oriental Turkey and Rice
4 cups cooked turkey, diced
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 cups cooked rice (2/3 cup dry - 2 cups cooked)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup prepared mustard
4 tablespoons turkey drippings
1. Spread diced cooked turkey in a shallow pan, season with salt and pepper.
2. Mix honey, prepared mustard, curry powder and turkey drippings.
3. Blend in turkey. Bake in moderate oven (180 degrees C) for about 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Spoon over cooked rice.
Makes approx 8 servings.
You can use chicken as well. Use as a marinade for uncooked chicken pieces (omit the turkey drippings). Chicken will require approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes to bake.
Honey Bee Ambrosia
4 medium oranges
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1 medium banana
1/4 cup honey
1. Pare oranges. Cut crosswise into thin slices and place in serving bowl.
2. Peel bananas and cut thin slices into the bowl with the oranges.
3. Toss fruits. Blend orange juice and honey and pour over fruits.
4. Sprinkle with coconut. Serve.
And an absolute favourite of my family's. Taken from the Australian Women's Weekly 'Sweet Old-Fashioned Favourites'
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 Tablespoon honey
4 cups (120g) Corn Flakes
1. Combine butter, sugar and honey in large pan. Stir over low heat, without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Remove from heat.
2. Add corn flakes to honey mixture. Stir gently to combine.
3. Spoon into patty cases in a muffin tray (or similar) and bake in moderate oven about 10 minutes.
Honey Butter Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
Melt butter in a saucepan. Add honey and lemon juice. Stir. Use it to glaze chicken after it has baked for 30 mins (or use a little on veggies).