Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week 26 of the 2011 Food Storage Challenge

$10 Plan
Store 5 kgs lentils/pulses

$20 Plan
Store 10 kgs lentils/pulses

We're halfway through the year now which is a fantastic achievement!

Hmm lentils.  I'm not terribly fond of these.  I'm not sure if that's because I was allergic to them as a child and still maintain an intolerance to them or I just dislike them but my family and I don't eat a lot of them.  I have been known on occasion to add them to taco meat though.  Generally I associate lentils with spicy/chili food which upsets my tummy.  My Mother-In-Law makes a Chili with lentils and mince which she considers mild, but it still wreaks havoc with me.

Lentils are a great source of folate and protein if you don't have access to those.  They certainly store longer than meat and are great to add to your food storage.  This printout has lots of useful information on some different kinds of pulses, how to use them and recipes: http://www.pulsecanada.com/uploads/4f/3c/4f3c70cc5efe8ead7b1f1c1f052ae932/Cooking-with-Beans-Peas--Lentils-2010.pdf

This site has information about the different types of lentils: http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html

No comments:

Post a Comment