Sunday, July 10, 2011

Week 28 of the 2011 Food Storage Challenge

$10 Plan
Store 1 kg honey

$20 Plan
Store 2 kgs honey and 2 kgs sugar

Yay!  More honey and sugar.

I won't be storing the honey this time though because I have LOTS of the stuff.  I will get more sugar because I use that in my baking.

Don't forget that there are different sugars out there - not just white sugar.  You can store raw sugar, brown sugar, caster sugar, icing sugar if you really want to.  It depends really on what you use as a family and what will work best for you.  You can also store things like maple syrup, golden syrup, glucose syrup.  I classify these under 'sugar'.  My children would live on pancakes and maple syrup if they could!

I was fortunate enough to get good quality honey just before honey prices went through the roof.  I purchased a few kilos of it (4 or 5 - I can't remember) and it is stored away until we go through the bucket of honey I have in my pantry cupboard.  That bucket has lasted us 5 years so far (it was a 2 kg bucket).  Mmmm I can feel some honey jumbles needing to be cooked!

Honey doesn't go off, but it may crystalise.  Simply leave it out in the sun for a little bit (with the lid on).  I don't really recommend putting it in the microwave but it is possible.

This will be the last of the honey and sugar we store for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment