Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Saving my hands...

Some of you may know that I have arthritis and RSI in my hands.  This can make many things I do incredibly painful and just plain difficult.

I don't do much gardening these days.  I hire some wonderful menfolk who maintain my yard and do a great job.  Phil just cannot do it with the hours he works, so I swallowed my pride and called 'Strong Steve' (my kids nicknamed him that).  They have been doing my lawn for over a year now and I think it's one of the best decisions I've made.  Something I don't have to worry about.

I can't give up teaching music - that's my 'pocket money' but it also keeps my musical talent up and running.  I love being able to share my knowledge with others, and that's the main reason I do that.

Cooking...hmmm now there was a problem.  I love cooking, but with the arthritis spreading to my shoulders and back, I couldn't stand and stir things anymore.  Phil decided that I needed something to 'help' me with my work.  Perhaps a really good food processor?

We searched around for a bit but weren't happy with the cheaper ones we saw.  Phil wanted something that would crush ice easily - apparently the sign of a really good processor!  That, and he really likes Slushies.

Then I got wind of Thermomixes.  I did a bit of research and found I really liked them but didn't know where to get hold of one, how much they were or how they actually worked.  A year later when a friend had a demonstration and unfortunately I was unable to attend, I booked in my own demonstration

The funny thing was that Phil was already sold on them.  He had watched videos and read the information I showed to him and he was completely hooked.  It was me the demonstrator needed to impress.  Needless to say we have been the proud owners of a Thermomix for about a year now and I don't regret purchasing it at all.

It's about the price of a laptop.  Not cheap at all, but as Phil said "If I can have a laptop (or two), you can have a cool kitchen appliance.  Nice thinking Phil!

Yes, it really does take a lot of the work out of mixing, and my hands and shoulders are thankful for it. 

I made beef chow mein in it tonight, and all I had to do was peel some carrots and an onion (it acts as a slow cooker too, and a steamer).

Thank you Phil, for agreeing to purchase my kitchen 'toy'.  I LOVE it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment