Friday, August 5, 2011

August 2011 Challenge

This month's challenge is to do with survival:-

Do you know how to cook without gas and electricity?  What would you need to purchase to do so?

And then you can store oil - be it Vegetable Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Grapeseed Oil and even Pomace Oil (great for soap making).  It is entirely up to you the quantity of oil you store.

I find vegetable oil versatile and I use it for a variety of purposes ranging from being used instead of butter in cakes to providing a non-stick surface to the BBQ (it helps with cleaning the BBQ as well).

I also store other oils and mainly use olive oil or Rice Bran Oil if I have to pan fry something.  Rice Bran Oil has a high smoking point, and has very little smell.  Occasionally Aldi has it on special, and I stock up on it then.

So basically we're storing an oil you can use generally in cooking, either as an ingredient or to assist with the cooking process.

I am going to mosey on into Costo one of these days and see if they have giant cans - the ones the Golden Circle punch/pineapple juice comes in.  I found that if you have one side open, and you can cut a square out of the bottom (of the opened side), then you can use it as a mini oven - only for outdoor use of course!  Stick some BBQ firelighters underneath and you can certainly use it for re-heating.  A camp trick I learned many years ago.
They're good for pancakes! (Not my photo.  It is from instructables.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment