Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week 17 of the 2011 Food Storage Challenge

$10 Challenge
Store 2 cans tuna and 1 can soup

$20 Challenge
Store 4 cans tuna and 2 cans soup

Yes folks, we're back to the ole tuna and soup again. 

Remember you can vary this. Store different varieties of soup.  Ready made soup is great, condensed soup, packet soup mix  (ie French Onion or Chicken Noodle - add to casseroles etc).  You can even substitute for canned ready made meals such as Irish Stew, Sausages and veggies, braised steak and onion etc.

I have to stock up on more tuna...my son found my stash and has been having a field day eating his favourite thing.  He recommended I store lots (a years supply LOL) of flavoured tuna because he can eat it with crackers, bread, leftover plain pasta or just with a spoon straight out of the tin.

If you DO want to store flavoured tuna to eat as a lunch alternative for your food storage, make sure you stock up on crackers or the like as well. 

The image comes from this yummy looking recipe, which is gluten free (if you are looking for recipes like that): http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/b/2011/03/30/gluten-free-tuna-casserole-economical-and-wildly-popular-at-my-house.htm

2 comments:

  1. lol at your son's suggestions.
    I think stock piling is a great idea but like your son my kids would quickly devour my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!
    I haven't been following the food storage challenge for a while now, but the things I bought in the first month have certainly helped from time to time (eg. when both DH and I were sick, we didn't have to go out in the cold to get soup). Recipe looks delish!

    ReplyDelete