Store 4 large cans of fruit
Store 8 large cans of fruit
You could store your own canned fruit for this challenge, or you could purchase it from Aldi, the IGA, Coles or Woolworths etc.
There are so many ways this challenge can add variety to your diet when you're living on food storage. You could store any one of the following in natural juice, light syrup or heavy syrup:-
- Morello Cherries or mixed berries
- Apple pie filling or apple puree
- Fruit Salad
- Passionfruit pulp
I just don't include tinned tomato in this, as it comes up as an option when we purchase pasta sauce.
You could use up your canned fruit in the following ways:-
- Bake into muffins or cakes (Pineapple upside cake Mmmmm)
- Serve with rice pudding (using your stored rice, sugar and powdered milk)
- Serve with your stored custard powder (if you did the $20 challenge)
- Bake in a pie
- Drain and bake on puff pastry drizzled with brown sugar or squares of chocolate (if canned in natural juice - otherwise don't add brown sugar)
- Bake in a cobbler/crumble
- Blend in a smoothie with some milk powder for added calcium
- Serve over breakfast cereal with the natural juice
- Eat with jelly
- Heat up the juice and add some gelatine to make jelly (not with the pineapple juice though - it won't set).