Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week 34 of the 2011 Food Storage Challenge

$10 Plan
Store 2 large cans fruit

$20 Plan
Store 4 large cans fruit

You can store:-
  • Peaches
  • Nectarines
  • Apricots
  • Plums
  • Pineapple
  • Cherries
  • Lychees
  • Two Fruits
  • Fruit Salad
  • Apple pie filling
  • Mixed Berries
  • Pears
Etc.

I love having canned fruit on hand.  It is really yummy with egg custard made in the Thermomix, or with ice cream in Summer.  You can make fruit crumble with it, turn it into pies if that particular fruit is out of season.  I guess the whole point is that if for some bizarre reason our fruit supply went downhill, we could still get some of those nutrients out of our tinned fruit.

I dehydrate fruit as well.  I still have some fruit-leather bananas from before Cyclone Yasi hit.  Unfortunately we're not so big on bananas as my place, but my son will happily munch on these, or snip some up and put them in his porridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment